"THE COTTAGE" was first opened in 1927 by Earl and Marie Coon. Originally it was a sandwich shop that catered to the surrounding factories. Sometimes the orders were from 200 to 300 burgers at a time. The Coon's kept Grand Rapids in burgers right through prohibition. When the 18th Amendment was repealed in 1933, they obtained a license to sell beer and wine. Then, in 1934, they obtained a license to also sell liquor and became, "The Olde Cottage Bar and Grill." Business just kept getting better as "The Cottage" became a popular place for businessmen from downtown and reporters from the "Grand Rapids Herald" who enjoyed the warm, friendly atmosphere of the restaurant. In 1952, the Coon's retired, and Peter Varano became the proprietor. The Cottage maintained it's standard of good food and drinks through the 60's. In 1967, John Verhil became the third owner. The interior hasn't changed much, and most is still intact, including the Art Deco mahogany bar.
We are proud to be the oldest operating bar and restaurant downtown. The Verhil family has maintained a high standard of quality food and good drinks. EAT, DRINK and ENJOY!